Best Mattress For Lower Back Pain Sufferers 2020 | Complete Review with Comparisons
Lower back pain is a problem which nearly everyone suffers at some point in their life. And sleeping with chronic back pain can turn a good night’s sleep into a nightmare.
And more often than not, your mattress is the main culprit. Sleeping on the wrong mattress can worsen or lead to lower back pain. However, an ergonomic mattress is one that relaxes the muscles, encourages a good sleeping posture, and provides a wholesome, healthy sleep.
Obviously, there’s no such thing as the “perfect” mattress. What seems comfortable for you won’t be comfortable for me. So, it is essential to choose the right mattress that perfectly fits your natural sleeping posture.
Nevertheless, here are our top picks for the best mattress for lower back pain sufferers.
Top 5 Best Mattress For Lower Back Pain Sufferers Comparison Chart
Best Mattress for Lower Back Pain Sufferers Reviews
- THE RIGHT COMBINATION - Our special recipe for rejuvenating rest? Refreshing green tea and moisture-absorbing ActivCharcoal infused into pressure-relieving memory foam that cradles your shape so you awake free of aches and pains and fresh as a daisy
- PRESSURE-RELIEVING FOAMS - 3 inches conforming memory foam, 2 inches soft, airflow enhancing comfort foam, and 7 inches durable, high density base support foam; ideal for side sleepers and petite to average weight sleepers
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED - Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- EXPERTLY PACKAGED - Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
- Worry-free 10 year limited warranty included; twin mattress supports a maximum weight of 250 lbs, while all other sizes can support up to 500 lbs
1. Zinus Memory Foam Mattress
Boasting a 4.1-star rating with over 31,000 reviews on Amazon alone, the Zinus Memory Foam Mattress takes our top spot for the Best Mattress for Lower Back Pain Sufferers. Featuring the soft memory foam, this mattress provides ultimate comfort while relieving pressure points by offering the necessary support.
Its 3.5 inches airflow high-density base foam provides the necessary support, while the top 2 inches comfort foam and 3 inches memory foam contours to the natural shape of your body to help encourage proper spine alignment and prevent back pain.
In addition, the manufacturer infuses their mattress with natural green tea extract in order to maintain its freshness. Not only that, this mattress also boasts the CertiPUR-US seal, giving you the assurance that this foam has been strictly tested and certified to meet the specific criteria for indoor emissions, physical performance, and durability.
This best mattress for lower back pain sufferers is efficiently compressed, rolled and then shipped in a box and requires up to 7 hours in order for it to reach its normal height and allow any potential odor to dissipate. In addition, Zinus also added a worry-free 10-year long limited warranty for a risk-free buying.
- 8 inch hybrid mattress combine hypallergenic memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a medium-firm feel perfect for kids rooms, guest beds, or an affordable low-profile option
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort
- Finished with a cozy knit cover, this mattress is compressed as a bed in a box for convenient delivery and setup
- Available in a medium firm 8 inch profile, a medium 10 inch profile, or a plush 12 inch profile that also features gel infusions and individually encased coils
- Packaging process may leave small brown flecks called carbons in the mattress packaging; These carbons are harmless pieces of plastic and will not stick to your mattress; 10 year limited warranty
2. Linenspa Hybrid Mattress
With a 4.4-star rating and over 11,000 reviews on Amazon, the Linenspa Hybrid Mattress uses the pressure point relief of memory foam with the reliable support that the traditional spring layer provides.
This 8 inches best mattress for lower back pain sufferers is often described as a medium-firm bed that provides the necessary support to keep your spine in good alignment as you sleep with the 6 inches of reliable innerspring coils. Meanwhile, the 1.5 inches layer of memory foam cradles to your body while you sleep to keep pressure points at a minimum.
Finished with a cozy knit cover, this hybrid mattress offers a plush and soft sleeping surface that keeps you relaxed and cool during the night. At an incredibly affordable price, this hybrid mattress from Linenspa also gets a lot of positive reviews from users, most of who say that it significantly helps reduce their lower back pain. This best mattress for lower back pain sufferers comes compressed in a box for efficient delivery and comes with a 10-year US warranty against manufacturer defects for a risk-free buying.
- Proven: Over a million people choose us every night. In fact, 95% of our customers keep and love their T&N Original Mattress, Featuring our own proprietary T&N Adaptive foam, the Original Mattress is universally comfortable for all sleeping positions
- Proprietary foam: Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night
- Cool sleeping: Our foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam, the T&N Adaptive foam helps pull away heat with cooling graphite and gel beads, wrapped in our breathable plush cover to help keep you cool and comfortable
- Free of harmful chemicals: Our mattresses Greenguard Gold and CertiPUR-US certified, this means our beds are held to the highest of standards and are third party tested and certified to free of harmful chemicals, substances or materials
- Questions: We pride ourselves on customer service and urge you to reach out to us directly if you have any questions at any point, our expert customer service team will be available to help you through any hesitations, problems or questions you may have
3. TUFT & NEEDLE Adaptive Foam Mattress
Another favorite, the TUFT & NEEDLE adaptive foam mattress is an all-around back pain-relieving mattress that is suitable for all sleeping positions— belly sleepers, back sleepers, and side sleepers.
This best mattress for lower back pain sufferers is constructed from T&N adaptive foam that gives its bouncy but very supportive form that keeps your spine in the perfect alignment. In addition, this high-grade foam is far more advanced than traditional mattress materials such as memory foam and latex, allowing you to sleep cool and more comfortable while relieving pressure.
The mattress also carries the CertiPUR-Us certifications and GreenGuard Gold label to ensure that it is held to the highest standard and totally free of harmful substances, materials or chemicals.
Not only that, the manufacturer also offers a 100-night trial as well as a 10-year limited warranty for protection against manufacturer’s defects and ensuring the quality of the mattress.
- This dual-layer mattress combines 2.5 inch gel infused, ventilated memory foam surface + 7.5 inch high density foam base for a MEDIUM-FIRM feel
- Gel infused memory foam regulates temperature while conforming to the body to ease pressure points
- Temperature-regulating, moisture-controlling TENCEL blend fabric cover creates a comfortable air layer
- Memory Foam is Hypoallergenic and CertiPUR-US certified for safety and performance
- Compressed, rolled, and shipped in a box for simple setup; easily fits through narrow hallways and staircases
4. LUCID Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Reputable company LUCID offers a thick 10-inches mattress that not only helps in relieving lower back pain but also making sure to keep you cool throughout the night. This dual-layer mattress combines the 7.5 inches high-density foam base for a medium firmness feel and the 2.5 inches gel-infused memory foam top.
Featuring responsive open-cell memory foam on top, this mattress compresses evenly under your body weight and contours to the natural curves of your body in order to reduce common pressure points and prevent pains. Furthermore, it makes the mattress long-lasting and more resilient, so you can use it for years to come.
And since it is infused with gel, this best mattress for lower back pain sufferers also offers superior breathability that helps in the regulation of your temperature and increasing airflow, keeping you cool and less sweaty as you sleep. In addition, the soft and breathable TENCEL fabric cover helps improve circulation and provides natural moisture control.
- Fabric Type: 5% Rayon/30% Viscose/65% Polyester
If you wish to relieve your lower back pain without breaking the bank, then this 12 inches memory foam mattress from Sweetnight is a great buy. The mattress features 3 thick layers of foam that provide the much-needed support with its medium firmness and comfort for back pain relief.
Its top layer gestures gel-infused memory foam that helps dissipate heat to keep you cool all-night while contouring to the natural curves of your body. The second layer breathable foam features open-cell technology to allow maximum airflow as well as enhanced support.
Lastly, the high-density base foam provides the necessary edge support and firmness to prevent sinkage and keeping your spine perfectly aligned, relieving pressure points. This best mattress for lower back pain sufferers is also CertiPUR-US certified so you do not have to worry about harmful substances such as mercury, formaldehyde and other heavy metals. Plus, it comes with a 10-year no-risk warranty for customer satisfaction guarantee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can temperature impact pain?
A: A cooler sleeping environment usually facilitates deeper sleep than having a hotter experience. In fact, a good night’s sleep needs a 1 degree Celsius of core body temperature.
Think of this: even if you have the perfect support and all your pressure points are alleviated, if you are hot all night, will you be able to get a good night’s sleep? You are more likely to toss and turn since you are sweaty and hot, only making the pain worse.
Understand that comfort is a complicated thing. And choosing the best mattress for lower back pain means that you need to consider numerous factors, from support and comfort to stay cool at night.
Q: What’s the best type of mattress to relieve chronic lower back pain?
A: According to experts, a good quality memory foam mattress is the ideal ergonomic mattress to offer relief for lower back pain. This type of mattress cradles your body’s curvature while being firm enough to support your back’s bony and muscular structures. Memory foam is also best in keeping the right alignment of the spine to prevent discomfort and lower back pain in general, by providing the much needed lumbar support.
In addition, memory foam comes in a broad range of density, offering anything from a medium-firm mattress to soft mattress, depending on your needs.
Q: What should I look for in a mattress for back pain?
A: When looking for a mattress that can help relieve back pain, there are some things you need to consider:
- Whether the mattress is soft enough to contour to your body while being firm enough to support your lower back if you’re a back sleeper. A too-soft mattress does not offer enough support while a too-stiff mattress tends to push against your spine. For the back sleepers, a mattress with medium firmness is an ideal type.
- For the stomach sleepers, who tend to sleep this way due to lower back pain, a firmer mattress is needed in order to keep them afloat.
- For the side sleepers, mattresses with slight softness is needed to cushion the hips and shoulders.
In addition, most sleepers tend to sleep in a combination of all these sleeping positions, causing a lot of movement in the bed. So, it is best to choose a mattress (typically memory foam mattresses) that have high motion isolation while still being firm and offers various softness.
Pain and stress are two peas in a pod. When you have interrupted sleep, it can cause discomfort, worsening your back pain. The pain can then cause you to be stressed, leading to poorer sleep that can worsen the pain. This is a vicious cycle, however, it can be broken.
A comfortable and healthy good night’s sleep is the best way to combat chronic pain and reduce stress. And to do this, you need to find the best mattress for back pain. It can be a hard thing to find, so you need to take enough time to choose one that is perfect for you. Regardless of your needs, the above best mattress for lower back pain sufferers will surely help alleviate your lower back pain in no time.