Best Mattress For Newborns 2020 | Complete Reviews With Comparison
Becoming a new parent can be super exciting as it is nerve-racking. There are so many things that you need to consider when preparing for the arrival of your little one. However, the most important part is creating a safe and comfortable sleeping environment for your newborn.
During the first few months, your little angel will spend more time sleeping than being awake, staring at you.
And choosing the best mattress for newborns won’t just provide the right sleeping environment with the necessary support for their developing neck and spine. It also ensures that your baby sleeps like, well, a baby.
Top 5 Best Mattress For Newborns Comparison Chart
Top 5 Best Mattress For Newborns Reviews
- WE PUT BABY'S SAFETY FIRST: Non-toxic construction is free from harmful materials/chemicals
- DUAL SIDED DESIGN FOR INFANTS AND TODDLERS: 231 pocketed coils deliver balanced support and the firmness level infants need | The toddler side features an additional layer of foam for enhanced comfort
- WATERPROOF FOR EASY CLEANING: Woven cover is waterproof | Reinforced border protection and corner protectors provide stability throughout the mattress
- GREENGUARD Gold certified: recognizes products with low chemical emissions, contributing to healthier environments | CertiPUR-US certified: made without PBDE fire retardants, lead, formaldehyde and other harmful materials
- MORE IMPORTANT INFO: Mattress comes with limited lifetime warranty | Made in USA | SIZE: 27.5"W x 52"L x
1. Simmons Kids Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Innerspring Crib Mattress
A respectable brand that you may be familiar with, Simmons is probably the first name that comes to mind when looking for the best mattress for newborns or any mattress for that matter. This is due to the fact that Simmons has been creating comfortable and reliable mattresses without problems since 1891.
And this particular best mattress for newborns is built with a sturdy innerspring framework. It features a dual-purpose design that provides the right firmness for infants as well as a good layer of foam for toddlers— making this an awesome mattress to support your newborn from a crib to the toddler bed.
In addition, this baby mattress sports a natural fire protection wrapping with durable woven fabric that’s completely waterproof and feels cozy and comfortable against your little one’s delicate skin. Plus, it is also resistant to stain, ensuring that the mattress can stay in tip-top condition for years to come.
- MATTRESS IN A BOX: This crib and toddler mattress ships compressed in a lightweight box for ultimate convenience; For optimal performance, unroll your mattress within 2 weeks of purchase to allow for proper expansion in a room temperature setting. The mattress cover is made up of 100% Polyester
- WATER-RESISTANT, REMOVABLE, WASHABLE OUTER COVER: This crib mattress' soft outer cover is water-resistant, removable and machine washable; Gently unzip the outer cover, machine (or hand) wash in cold water (delicate cycle only, no bleach), and hang dry (do not place in dryer machine) to keep your child's sleep environment fresh, clean, and cozy
- RECOMMENDED MATTRESS FIRMNESS FOR BABY: Recommended mattress firmness for infant's safer sleep; Mattress core made of high-quality, breathable foam to maximize air flow
- RIGOROUSLY TESTED AND CERTIFIED: This mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified, free of prohibited phthalates, lead, and mercury, meets or exceeds all applicable ASTM International and CPSC safety standards, and meets all applicable federal flammability standards; Backed by a 6-year limited warranty
- FITS STANDARD FULL-SIZE CRIB AND TODDLER BED: This crib mattress is designed to fit any standard full-size crib and toddler bed; Length (52 inches) x Width (27.6 inches) x Height (up to 5 inches); Weight (7 pounds); Mattress made of polyurethane foam
2. Stork Craft Graco Premium Crib Mattress
Boasting 4.3-star rating with almost 3,000 reviews on Amazon alone, the Graco Foam Mattress from Stork Craft is Amazon’s Choice for “crib mattress”. Taking home the 2020 Women’s Choice Award with 9 out of 10 customers recommending it, this best mattress for newborns has the ideal recommended firmness for newborns to support your little one’s delicate bone structure.
The mattress features high-quality and breathable foam, maximizing airflow and keeping your baby cool as he or she sleeps peacefully. Its size can fit any standard full-size crib as well as toddler beds. The mattress comes with removable, water-resistant and washable cover that makes it easy for parents to maintain a clean and cozy sleeping environment for your little one.
Not only that, this best mattress for newborns also meets and exceeds all CPSC, ASTM International, and federal flammability standards and is Greenguard Gold certified. This means that it is free of harmful mercury, lead, and phthalates. Plus, the manufacturer includes a 1–year limited warranty for a risk-free buying.
- COMFORT: This baby mattress features a unique blend of firmness and comfort that is perfect for babies and toddlers.
- WATERPROOF: A waterproof cover protects your mattress.
- TESTED: Meets federal anti-flammability requirements and made with CERTIPUR certified foam.
- QUALITY: Milliard foam supersedes all with superior high density construction that will not lose its shape.
- DIMENSIONS: Fits in standard size cribs and toddler beds. 52 inches x 27.5 inches x 4.75 inches.
3. Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Mattress
For the best bang-for-the-buck, choose Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Mattress. This affordable mattress offers just the right firmness to provide optimal comfort for your newborn and help prevent SIDS.
This best mattress for newborns uses a unique blend of foam in order to create the perfect combination of firmness and comfort. It should cradle your baby but will not let him sink in. The mattress comes fully equipped with a waterproof cover that protects the mattress from spills and leaks. This makes it easier for you to clean the mattress and create a hygienic sleeping environment for your little one. Furthermore, the mattress is also hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and highly resistant to allergens, making it the perfect bed for infants prone to allergy or suffers from asthma.
Its foam core is CertiPUR-US certified, meaning it is made without using harmful chemicals such as lead, phthalate and mercury, ozone-depleting products and has low VOC emissions. Made to fit any standard crib sizes without gaps, this best mattress for newborns is shipped compressed and rolled and taking at least 72 hours to fully expand.
- 2- STAGE DUAL-FIRMNESS FOR INFANTS & TODDLERS - The extra firm side is engineered to provide the firmness infants need for proper support and development, while the less firm side provides the comfort toddlers prefer.
- COMFORTABLE: With an ultra-soft waterproof cover, the eco-friendly crib and toddler mattress is wrapped snugly inside an ultra-soft certified organic cotton cover, which is waterproof-backed to ensure the mattress stays dry while the baby's skin remains closest to organic cotton.
- SAFE: The Eco Classica III is GREENGUARD Gold, and CertiPUR-US certified, CPSIA compliant, and compliant with all federal and state flammability requirements.
- DURABLE: The Eco Classica III is designed to last through the infant and toddler years, with inverted seams for extra durability
- PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA: The Eco Classica III is a 6-inch-thick orthopedic crib mattress designed for most standard American cribs and toddler beds. This crib mattress is approximately 51.63" long, 27.25" wide and 6" thick
4. Colgate Eco Classica III Orthopedic Style Crib Mattress
Nope, this is not the toothpaste company that you’re thinking of. This is a completely different company that manufactures high-quality mattresses. And for their best mattress for newborns, Colgate offers Eco Classica III, a lightweight, dual-sided mattress boasting an orthopedic style to support your little one’s bone structure growth and development.
The mattress features the ideal firmness for newborns on one side and a less firm on the other to support the bodies of growing toddlers. It also comes with certified organic cotton cover, completely waterproof in order to prevent liquids from leaking into the mattress and causing mildew, odor and an unsanitary sleeping environment for your baby.
Not only that, this best mattress for newborns is also eco-friendly. It is made of plant oils and has passed all federal and state requirements for flammability and chemical composition. It is even Greenguard Gold certified, ensuring that there will be no harmful air emissions.
- HIGH-DENSITY SOYBEAN FOAM-CORE -- Lightweight yet ultra-durable soybean foam-core uses a percentage of natural and renewable soybeans, providing the right amount of firmness and comfort.
- PREMIUM FOAM -- The foam used throughout is CertiPur-US Certified foam made in the USA. It is made without phthalates, lead, mercury, formaldehyde, PBDES, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants that may be a concern in non-certified foams.
- WATERPROOF SURFACE & BINDING -- Reinforced embossed waterproof and stain-resistant cover with lock-stitched binding helps to keep liquids from seeping inside.
- SAFETY & QUALITY TESTED -- Firmness, durability and crib fit tested, passes American Society for Testing and Materials Crib Mattress Standards; this entire crib mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified for indoor air quality and tested for chemicals to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby.
- MADE IN THE USA -- Sealy Crib and Toddler Mattresses are designed, engineered and proudly made in the USA of U.S. and imported parts.
5. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
Ensuring a healthier sleeping for babies and toddlers alike, this foam-core mattress from Sealy passed all tests done for durability, quality, safety and ASTM standards with flying colors. It is a reliable and highly supportive mattress that should last for several years or just until your little one grows out of it.
In addition, reputable brand Sealy also carries the “America’s Best Mattress for Babies” Award with Amazon agreeing and making it a nice choice for “crib mattresses.” What makes this award-winning mattress different is that t uses renewable soybeans to create a supportive and fir foam for infants.
Also, it is lightweight yet long-lasting with its reinforced embossed waterproof covering that is highly resistant to stain. Not only that, with lock-stitched binding, the cover also keeps spills and liquids from seeping into the mattress as well as ensuring that household allergens such as dust and dander won’t cling onto the surface.
Meanwhile, it’s cotton wrap offers a luxurious and premium level of comfort so that your little one has a long, uninterrupted sleep. You will also love the fact that this mattress is designed, engineered and proudly produce in the US and the lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship, ensuring its high-quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the best types of mattresses for newborns?
A: There are various kinds of mattresses available for your little one. Some of the best options include:
- Dual mattresses
- Innerspring mattresses
- Foam-based mattresses
- Organic mattresses
Regardless of what you choose, you need to pick a mattress with enough firmness in order to prevent SIDS which is probably the biggest concern of parents with newborns. It should also help with your little one’s strength and muscle development.
Q: What does organic mattress mean?
A: You need to correctly define the term organic sine you will find a lot of mattresses with this labeling. First, an organic mattress does not have materials like vinyl covering. In addition, you need to look for the organic certification label.
Since most mattresses have polyurethane foam in them, they will not get that label. But, most poly beds can have CertiPUR-US certification for chemicals.
In order to a mattress to be called organic, all fibers need to be natural. Read the labels and ensure that everything is genuine since most manufacturer’s instructions can be confusing and deceiving.
Q: What is the right mattress thickness for newborns?
A: The depth or the thickness of standard crib mattresses are regulated by US laws. And it should not be thicker than 6 inches bottom to top when it is laid out flat.
Q: Are toddler and crib mattress the same size?
A: Yes. Newborn mattresses typically have dual firmness. One side is suitable for newborns while the other is for toddlers.
Q: How long does a mattress for newborns last?
A: In general, a crib mattress can last between 3 and five years depending on the quality of the mattress, condition and environment, and proper use and maintenance. The lifespan of the mattress can change depending on whether or not it is resistant to mold or waterproof.
Also, it depends on the materials used in the mattress as well as regular maintenance like spot cleaning and using a crib mattress cover.
Q: What is a baby mattress pad cover?
A: Also called topper, base pad or underpaid, this is a material made mostly of foam that is meant to be placed on top of the mattress. The main purpose of this is to provide warmth and comfort.
Also, thanks to its safety waterproof layer, it prevents leaking diapers from soiling your baby’s mattress. They are generally 100 percent waterproof absorbency to keep your baby dry and safe.
Q: Can I use a second-hand mattress?
A: Sure you can, but we advise against the idea.
While some parents prefer buying second-hand mattresses to save money, it is not a great option. Second-hand crib mattress can have sanitary concerns like stains, mildew or molds.
In addition, a used mattress is not a safe option over time due to possible shrinking or worn out springs. Not only that, the older design of crib mattresses won’t probably fit today’s standard crib sizes.
Buying the best mattress for newborns is far more complicated than choosing the color or theme for your nursery. There are so many choices available that can leave you confused and scratching your head.
When in doubt, choose one from our list above. All mattress included in this list are up to standards, safe and will ensure that your little one has the best sleep of their starting life.